Sunday, August 3, 2008

Library Find


This weekend I went to the Ft Lauderdale downtown (7 story) library and stumbled across a really beautiful find. Inrō Boxes. I love our library and it was great just to wander the shelves in search of inspiration to my pattern sketches/paintings.

Here is a description via the wiki: An Inrō was a case for holding small objects. Because traditional Japanese garb lacked pockets, objects were often carried by hanging them from the sash (obi). Inrō were suited for carrying anything small. Consisting of a stack of tiny, nested boxes, inro were most commonly used to carry identity seals and medicines. Inrō were made of a variety of materials, including wood, ivory, bone, and lacquer. Lacquer was also used to decorate inro made of other materials. Inrō evolved over time from strictly utilitarian articles into objects of high art and immense craftsmanship.

The book I saw is: Japanese Inro by Julia Hutt Here is a (grainy) shot I took from the book itself...



I fell in love with these objects. They are stunning. I am now imagining the items I would carry in mine...


Now from high art to low art but I have to say pretty cool: an Inrō Ipod case:





Quick Zwitter:
Out like a light... it's nighty night time.



zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Sleep tight!

No comments: