Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Charged Battery and Hope

Still on vaca but wanted to share a story that has me in awe... and though it shouldn't, I am feeling very lucky right now... and I am not talking about driving these back roads in the mountains while the snow is coming down horizontally.

I went into town today (West Jefferson, NC) cos Zoe was having anal gland (gross, but a necessity with labs) issues so I made an appt for that. I was driving around and got there early and they took her in pretty fast. From there I went to a pet store to get her a pressed rawhide and my battery died when I went to get back into the car. So here it is, snowing a little and it is about 29 degrees as a high... Anyway the pet store people let me use their phone and I called the Ford dealership. The guy that does their towing got there in less than 10 minutes and jumped the battery. He would not take any money even though I offered him $20.00 at least for a beer. Then he had me follow him to the dealership around the corner and made sure that someone was there to help. They had to have a battery sent in from somewhere close - apparently the Honda Element has a small battery cos a few people came over to look at it. It was funny to see these mechanics gather around this thing and talk about the size of this battery. All in total I was in there in less than 30 minutes and the charge was only $100.00 - that was with delivery, installing and the battery cost. I am flabbergasted!!! Needless to say I am very lucky this all happened down in town and not up here where it is pretty isolated. The battery was seriously dead. We were all joking that it was protesting the cold weather.

There are still pockets of great people!! I just cannot say how lucky I felt that this happened when it did at the time and the fact that is has given me some serious happiness in people. Sounds bitter but I don't mean it to be. I can almost guarantee that this would not have happened in Fort Laud., FL and maybe not in Austin, TX either. So the sun shown today, the snow fell and swirled in the the wind and it ended up as a shining point in this trip.
Thanks guys! You Rock!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you're getting time away for yourself and Zoe! Love the recent work! Gorgeous!

Yes, this definitely would not happen in ATX. A few years back maybe, but not now.

Although, my front bumper just fell of my car and God bless the good samaritan who hooked me up with 2 bungee cords so I could at least drive to the dealer where they wanted to overcharge me by $700. The hunt for a good independent shop continues...